Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tuesday Samurai - Meet Josh Carson

In this week's Tuesday Samurai, I continue my series of introductions of the cast of Bright Ideas by chatting with Josh Carson, who makes his USP debut as well-intentioned dad, Joshua Bradley.

As I pointed out last week, I happen to have known all the cast members before mounting this production. How did we meet, Josh?

We met ten damn years ago (A decade, Ryan! A friggin' decade!) at the University of Minnesota, where we were taught the difference between theatre and theater. (Theatre's art. Theater pays. Here's your degree.) All the college stories worth telling are being withheld until the release of my explosive, controversial tell-all, Just Joshin'?.

Ooh, I've always wanted to be a part of a scandal! Where may audiences have seen you previously?

For the last year, I've been on the front lines of interactive theater, whether it be the drunken best man in Tony 'n' Tina's Wedding or the drunken bingo caller in We Gotta Bingo. When I was cast in Bright Ideas, I was anxious to finally be playing a character that wasn't going to be groped by the real housewives of Eden Prairie or wind up shirtless, suckling at a bottle of vodka by the end of the night. Then I saw the script and realized that I'm not quite out of those woods yet. Ooh, teaser!

You've always been a big tease! Is that how you found a way to relate to your character?

It's a widely known fact that the hardest part of acting is learning to respond to a new name. Well, my character's name is Josh, so 85% of my work is already done. It does get a tad confusing during rehearsal, because statements are thrown out like, "Josh is so spineless," or "Josh is extremely off-putting," or "Josh clearly has an alcohol problem." And I'm all, "You guys are talking about Character Josh, not Me Josh, right?" Then nobody says anything for a solid six minutes. Then I say, "Why'd everybody stop talking at once?" And they say, "You guys remember Troop Beverly Hills?" And I say, "Why are you changing the subject?" And they're all, "We didn't." And I'm all, "Why won't you look me in the eye?" And they're all, "We are." And I go, "You're not even facing me!" And then they're all, "Tori Spelling was the evil Wilderness Girl in Troop Beverly Hills, isn't that crazy?" And I yell, "Quit making this about Troop Beverly Hills!" And they're all...wait, what was the question?

I'm not sure anymore. All I know is that I don't think Tori Spelling was in Troop Beverly Hills. I'll have to IMDB that...or maybe Jimmy [LeDuc, Bright Ideas director] would know. He's full of knowledge.

Jimmy is, in many ways, the perfect director for me because he speaks in very specific pop culture references. This has sped up the process considerably because I can suggest that I'm essentially playing evil Phil Dunphy and we'll both instantly be on the same page. Also, there's the Golden Girls obsession. I hope that's brought up in every interview.

I try to bring up The Golden Girls every day of my life. Is that not normal? But I totally get the evil Phil Dunphy reference. Modern Family is my favorite new show of the season, and if you're a fan of that show, you'll certainly love Bright Ideas! But enough TV...any upcoming theater work you want to tell us about?

After Bright Ideas, we're remounting the smash hit Saved by the Bell Show at the Bryant Lake Bowl (featuring the real Mr. Dewey! If you know what I'm talking about, you already got your ticket). A few buddies and I are developing a sketch comedy with the theme of breaking up. (Write what you know, eh? Sigh...) And once upon a time, I used to write and produce my own shows to some slight acclaim. I keep threatening to make a comeback, whether people want it or not. However, that comeback suddenly seems more likely within the year, so stay tuned.

I definitely will! I loved Video Guy...that was the first Fringe show I ever saw. I'm so old... Time for a Three Musketeers bar. How about you, Josh? What's your favorite candy?

Dots. No question. Everytime I eat a package of Dots, I stick two of them in my teeth, preferably red, and pretend to be a candy vampire. Every. Time. And, yes, I'm thirty.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with re-living the simple joys of childhood. I've been known to whip out a few childhood habits here and there...but that's for your scandalous tell-all book to reveal.

Thanks to Josh for the crazily hilarious chat! I wouldn't have expected anything less. And way to call Tori Spelling's role in Troop Beverly Hills - I stand corrected. What a career that nutty lady has had! Be sure to come back next week when I put one of my favorite people, Courtney Miner, in the Tuesday Samurai hot seat.

Have a good week, candy vampires!

Ryan Grimes
Managing Director
Urban Samurai Productions

No comments: