Thursday, April 22, 2010

Thoughts from a conflicted parent

Yesterday, when I was supposed to post this I was caring for my daughter who was diagnosed with whooping cough and quarantined from daycare. She of course is completely fine and played all day, laughing, and having a jolly old time. Spending the day with her reminded me of just how much I miss with her throughout the workweek, which made it so much harder to go into work today. It also made me think how crazy it is that 70% of households with children either have two parents that work full time or a single parent that works full time. That’s the exact opposite percentage compared to 40 years ago. And it seems to me that our children perhaps make just as big a sacrifice as their parents in the race to increase or just maintain our standard of living versus inflation and a middleclass income rate that has remained essentially unchanged for the last 20-30 years. Which of course is the reality of the global market that is creeping in. At some point something is going to have to give. I feel like it’s going to come down to either people having less babies or people starting to live a more humble, frugal, existence. I guess we’ll see…

No comments: