Friday, April 2, 2010

Collaboration

Our first week of rehearsals has just wrapped up for Bright Ideas. The week was a short one, one spent more on a first read and characters than anything. But one thing that has already begun to develop is the collaboration process.
As a stage manager, I have worked with hundreds of different actors and directors. Which ultimately means, hundreds of different personalities. No two people that I have come across have ever been the same in their method of acting or approach of directing. Also, as a stage manager, I get a chance to observe throughout the process. I see everything and I hear everything. Through this observation, I can pick up how the dynamic will be during the rehearsal process. And with this show specifically, I can already tell it will be an amazing trip. The juices have begun to flow between the actors and our director, ideas are coming out, one idea is building on another idea, and from this, I appreciate the process of collaboration more and more. I contribute my two cents in quietly where needed to the director, but for the most part, I just sit back and enjoy this process and learn.
The next few weeks will be a fun rehearsal process, ones that I am greatly looking forward too...

No comments: