Thursday, April 8, 2010

More than A Few Good Women

With Jimmy LeDuc steering the ship of Bright Ideas, I am free to get the ball rolling on our upcoming production of A Few Good Men. Auditions for the women were last night and I'll be seeing the guys this Sunday and Monday with callbacks for everyone on Tuesday.

I am constantly amazed at the level of talent in this town. I saw close to 30 women last night, and as there is only 1 female role in the show I planned on inviting no more than 5 women to callbacks. Narrowing the field to 5 turned out to be a pipe dream at best.

Given the fact that the movie that was made from this script is so iconic, it is important to me that I find actors that will be willing and able to bring their own take to the production. I was presented with audition after audition of very talented women who showed me potential sides of Joanne Galloway that I had not even considered. It was an incredible experience, and my hat is off to the actresses of Minneapolis.

After a long deliberation I narrowed the field down to 7 women (the list really could have been 10-12), and I am not looking forward to the gut wrenching task of choosing only one from that group. Don't get me wrong, having more choices is better than having none. But this is going to be one of those times when any one of the 7 could kick some serious ass.

I love and hate auditions as a director. It is the beginning of the exciting process of creating a new piece of theater. But it is also the time I have to tell some very talented people no.

The guys are this Sunday, I'll let you know next week how much worse my ulcers are :)

Matt Greseth
Artistic Director
Urban Samurai Productions

No comments: