Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tuesday Samurai - Curtains

The Tuesday Samurai has been a bad, little Samurai! I apologize for my absence over the last few weeks. Business trips, shows, hot weather, and a general sense of "What day is it?" all contributed to my completely spacing out on the blog! But those are silly excuses. What's important is that I'm back!

This weekend I'm off to Vancouver to explore a new city to which I've never been and spend some time with my parents, who will be "docking" in Vancouver for a conference after their Alaskan cruise, which followed a family friend's wedding in Seattle. Did you follow all that? Probably not...which means you still have your sanity. Quota nuts.

Moving on.

As I research a city to decide what I will do, I'm sure I won't shock anyone by saying that the actor son of an architect looks for the city's greatest architectural gems...theaters! Which got me thinking...I really love theaters. The actual structures. There's nothing like a classic theater in my eyes, which is why I love that USP performs at the Sabes Jewish Community Center. The house may be puzzling in it's wide and shallow seating area, but the wing space and full fly loft and attached shop...well...I just frakkin' love it!

When I was a kid, I was obsessed with theaters. I had a pad of grid paper and I would draw up plans for glorious theater buildings. Wing space, dressing rooms, rehearsal rooms, administrative offices, huge houses where every audience member has an awesome seat.

In other words, I had very few friends as a child. But the theaters I "built" were amazing!

And curtains. Don't get me started on curtains. When I was performing in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, I would often stand in the wings at the end of Act I to see the curtain fall on the "Rosemary" reprise. There's nothing like a good curtain falling to say, "See you in fifteen!"

In other words, I may have more friends now, but I'm still a huge geek.

And you know what? I'm OK with that. Because I know there's thousands of kids out there every year who are developing a love for live theater...somewhere, somehow...because of "geeky" things like floor plans and curtains. Or maybe their obsession is the look of a single light in an otherwise dark room, or how to accessorize clothing with things that look expensive but are super cheap. And all these geeky kids will come together one day and put on a show and it will make people laugh, cry, go "Wow", and wildly applaud.

And I'll be clapping with them.

Have a great Independence Day weekend! If you have any travel tips for Vancouver, shout 'em out!

Ryan Grimes
Managing Director
Urban Samurai Productions

1 comment:

Shannon said...

The Sabes JCC just got their curtain back from being lined and flip so it's actually red now! And you know what that means...it can actually be used this season!!