Friday, June 4, 2010

It's Friday!!

At this point, being a few weeks out from doing any shows, I feel completely relaxed. I have been sleeping better at night and notice that my brain is far less scattered than usual. Although I haven't been doing shows per say, I have still been working my day job in a theatre. My mission; to finish cleaning up somebody else's mess. A year ago I did an overhaul of the prop room. What a mess that was. It was to the point that you couldn't even walk in the room. Now, everything is neatly put away in its own place, and documented exactly where it is in the room. A bit psychotic? Perhaps, but at least I know exactly what is in the room and how many items.
Now it's on to the costume cage. I have already gone through the daunting task of sorting through it all. Again, you can actually walk inside the room without tripping over everything. I had a "garage sale" of sorts and got rid of many bags of unusable "costumes." The remaining items are categorized as well as can be, and soon it will be a workable space.
My one question with going through the costumes is this: Why do people insist on putting everything 70's and 80's in a costume closet? And then keeping them for years? How often do companies actually put up a show that consists of the aforementioned costumes?
Ok, that's actually 4 questions. But you get my point. It's a lot of useless stuff to keep around, when all the costumer does is run to Savers and purchase new items. If it was up to me...everything would go and we would start anew.
But it is not, so I will just continue to make sense of a rather messy situation.

No comments: