Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tuesday Samurai - A Chat with Jimmy LeDuc

Bright Ideas opened on Friday and opening weekend audiences seemed to enjoy themselves immensely. Were you among them? If not, what's wrong with you?! I kid, I kid (kind of). I know we're all busy people and we can't always make it to the opening of the latest hot show, but I'd better see you there sometime soon! You don't want to miss it - dark and biting...my kind of comedy. And the credit for bringing Eric Coble's excellent writing to the stage belongs to the marvelous director, Jimmy LeDuc.


Jimmy, the credit for our meeting belongs to mutual friend (and Bright Ideas cast member) Mykel Pennington. I heard a lot about "my friend, Jimmy" when I worked on a show with her, and I can only assume she passed on crucial information about me to you. What did she tell you and did I live up to the hype?


Mykel Pennington. She is amazing, isn't she? Not only talented but she is also charming, kind, and SEXY! I was in grad school at The University of Oklahoma getting my MFA in Directing. Mykel had just moved from Memphis (where we had first worked together when I directed her in Wit. The production was actually in Arkansas across the river from Memphis). Anywho, she mentioned working with you and Urban Samurai. The next thing I knew she was convincing me to move to the Twin Cities. She put me in contact with Matt first. I think I first met you via Facebook and Callboard. I volunteered to usher for Halfway Home and met you then. Since that time, we have gotten to know each other much better, especially when I was AD for Homeland Prayer. You have lived up to everything Mykel said. You are hilarious and talented.

How sweet you are...but it kind of seems like I was fishing for compliments, doesn't it? Hmm...let's try some less self-absorbed questions. Let's talk about YOU. Tell me about your personal history with theater.

I started doing theater when I was 9 or 10 after starting out taking tap dance at 3. I acted and also did some stage management. After college, I interned with Playhouse on the Square in Memphis. I did theatre in Memphis and then Atlanta working for several companies, mainly as an actor and teacher but I always wanted to direct. After I left Atlanta, I moved back to Memphis and began working as an assistant director and director and honing my skills. Then, I went back to school and got my MFA and now here I am. Since moving here a year and a half ago, I have worked with Lyric Arts as an actor and teacher. I also did an observership with Theatre Pro Rata, and have worked with USP twice.

Sounds like you've been all over the South, but what sold you on moving up here?

After grad school, I wanted to go to a place with a welcoming and vibrant theater community. The Twin Cities fit the bill for sure. I visited Mykel and fell in love and the rest is history, as they say.

Jimmy, we're far too young to refer to our lives as "history". At least for another year. But, I digress. How does the Twin Cities theater community compare to others of which you've been a part?

The Twin Cities is a great community. I love the people and the amazing talent here. The big difference between other communities is the sheer size of it and the amount of companies. There is not a week that goes by that you don't have your pick of a wonderful variety of plays and musicals. That is quite exciting. It is almost impossible to see everything. I love the support for the arts in the Twin Cities, too.

It's true - there is a lot of support out there, but the opportunities are almost overwhelming. I certainly hope Bright Ideas doesn't get lost in the mix! I've been so excited for this show since we first scheduled it over a year ago. What drew you to the piece and inspired you to propose it for USP's season?

In grad school, I was TA for a Performing New Plays class. I was helping the professor find plays and I stumbled across Bright Ideas. I fell in love with it. It was timely and timeless. The characters were contemporary but there was also a wonderful homage to Shakespeare and especially the Scottish play. I know USP often brings exceptional cutting-edge works and regional premieres to the area. I thought Bright Ideas fit that mission well so I proposed it. The rest is history, as they say...

No, Jimmy. We're not going to say it! Anywho...it sounds like this play has been with you for a few years. How has finally putting it on stage affected you?

The production has affected me in several ways. First off, I got to work with such a great company like USP. I really love playing with you guys. Secondly, I have worked with this tremendous cast. They have brought so much to the table and I have loved every minute of the process. This cast gave 150% every rehearsal and it shows in the characters they have created as they tell the story. Third, it is exciting to bring this timely story to life. Fourth, I have had the great pleasure of meeting so many wonderful people in the Twin Cities theater community through this process. Finally, I have also had the great fortune of being in contact with Eric Coble, who wrote this great script, via Facebook. He has been a huge supporter of our production.

That's awesome! I hope Mr. Coble knows we'd offer him free tickets... Now that Bright Ideas is open, what's next for you?

I have several projects in the works and am super excited about all of them. I am assistant directing The Glass Menagerie at the Jungle Theater. I am also assistant directing A Christmas Story at Children's Theatre Company. Next February, I go to Memphis for about four weeks to direct a production of Grey Gardens (one of my all time favorite documentaries and also musicals). We shall see what else I can get up to in the next year. I love staying as busy as possible doing as much work as I can. I always feel the more you work, the more you learn and grow.

Agreed. Though I'm exhausted/feel-like-a-slacker after looking at your upcoming projects! Jimmy, it has been such a joy to work with you, both during Homeland Prayer last fall and throughout the entire process for Bright Ideas. I hope to snag you for another project in USP's future, but in the meantime, we've been avoiding the big elephant in the room. The time is here. We need to address our mutual love for The Golden Girls.

The Golden Girls. Where do I begin? This show was a part of my childhood. We watched it every Saturday night in my house. Then, I rediscovered a love for it in reruns. I own all seven seasons on DVD. Truth be told, I had to order second copies of some of them from wearing them out. I think it is one of the funniest ensemble comedy shows ever created. The writing is crisp and the acting is stellar. Those four women were TRUE talent. I would have to say I am most like Dorothy with some Sophia thrown in. My mom's side of the family is Sicilian so I get that aspect of the humor. I also love sarcasm and quips so I just relate to that in Dorothy and Sophia. However, Blanche and Rose make me die laughing as well. Blanche's slutty quotes are brilliant and Betty White has amazing timing (and still does as SNL just showed us) The truth is, if I am having a bad day, I can turn on an episode and know I will smile. I brought the comic energy of the Girls to rehearsals by wearing my Stay Golden t-shirt (featuring a cast picture on it) whenever I could.

I know exactly how you feel. I remember watching with my family on Saturday nights as well...I even remember the "Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'" promo they did with Empty Nest in one of the later seasons. The Golden Girls is still as fresh as ever and, as you say, I always know an episode will put a smile on my face no matter how terrible my day was.

Yikes, Jimmy...could we be any gayer right now? I can't believe we're having a mutual love fest for The Golden Girls in my blog! OK, actually, I can totally believe it. The show is great, but we'll have to talk about it more later. It's time to wrap this edition of the Tuesday Samurai up...how should we end it, Mr. LeDuc?

To end this Mr. Grimes, I will leave you with one of my favorite exchanges from The Golden Girls:

Blanche: I have been told I bear a striking resemblance to Ms. Cheryl Ladd, of course my bosoms are much perkier.
Dorothy: Not even if you were hanging upside down by a trapeze!

I love it, Jimmy! Now, everyone, honor the Girls and get your tickets to Bright Ideas today by visiting urbansamurai.org!

Ryan Grimes
Managing Director
Urban Samurai Productions

No comments: