Thursday, March 25, 2010

Impending Hard Drive Failure

My computer's been down for a week and a half now.

I've been told I'll finally get it back in my hands tonight.

This would make my life immeasurably easier because my backup computer (basically, the computer before this one I'm looking to reclaim this evening), while certainly handy in a pinch (I'm typing on it now, after all), is often maddeningly slow, depending on the program I'm working in. Mostly at a snail's pace in word processing, which is kind of my bread and butter, so... sigh.

I nearly had it back last night, but the thorough fellows at the Apple store ran a post-repair diagnostic and it told them "Impending Hard Drive Failure"

Phew.

So, back to the repair bench, install a new hard drive.

Just moments before, rather than after, the warranty/service plan runs out, not to be renewed (because, after all, it's their job to prompt me to buy a new computer every three to five years or so).

Thankfully this new computer comes with a handy auto-backup feature. As long as you have an external hard drive, that is. Which I also bought and learned to use apparently just in the nick of time.

So when I get it back tonight, I plug in the external hard drive and *bloop* - it's like a week and a half ago, only without the computer prompting me to take it to the doctor.

Phew.

That is, that's supposed to be how it will go. How it actually goes, we'll see when I sit down and work the backup magic.

Then I'll feel a little more grounded. And thus won't forget to blog on Thursdays.

Like I did last week.

Also I'll be able to get back to digging into "Leave" - my script which is both part of the Great Plains Theatre Conference in a little over two months' time, and then kicks off the 2011 season for Urban Samurai (and the 2010 season ain't even half over yet). To rewrite, or not to rewrite? To expand, or not to expand? I have to admit it's exciting, and humbling, to entertain the thought of what I may learn from two new directors and two new sets of actors, designers, etc., in the space of less than 12 months.

Again I say...

Phew.

More artistic blog next Thursday.

I think...

Bright Ideas opens in 42 days
Great Plains Theatre Conference starts in 65 days
Artistic Director Matthew Greseth “Holiday Blogger” Blogs in 10 days
Minnesota Fringe Festival arrives in 132 days
Leave, via Urban Samurai, 10 months off

No comments: